Saturday, November 10, 2012

#22: RPM Racing

Radical Psycho Machine? What?
The first thing about this game is it wasn't even included in the massive ROM pack I found when I started this little adventure. It didn't take long to find it online, but it was still a little odd that it wasn't included. I did some looking and can't find any reason it wouldn't have been included. It was released in both NA and Japan. It apparently was the first game developed in the US for the SNES. Also, it's a remake of a Commodore 64 game.
Pimp Your Ride!
Reading that makes sense to me, since the game played a lot like a C64 game. And I mean that in a bad way. There was one button that did anything. I guess start also paused the game but everything else went unused. I hate when they can't figure out useful things for other buttons. For example, there's no way to go in reverse so if I wanted to go backwards I had to spin in a circle.
Terrible Camera Angle!
Why would I want to go backwards? Because of this hill. You slowed down as you climbed the hill and you actually couldn't get to the top from the bottom. You had to turn around and go down the ramp in the background to build up speed. See that yellow car? He wasn't smart enough to turn around and actually never got up the hill. He just kept trying to climb the hill, stalling out partway up, and falling back to the bottom.

The sound was terrible. The graphics tried using a different graphics style with fewer colours but deeper contrasts? Whatever it was, I didn't like it. The gameplay was terrible. You could spend money to upgrade your vehicle but you didn't get any money unless you won a race. And I wasn't able to win a race in my first two tries. Maybe because I had a terrible car!

I almost wish I had a rating lower than F- since I feel like this game may be worse than Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball. Eh, probably not. But this game is still pretty darn terrible. Why did so many games get ported from outdated systems? I don't want to play medicore C64 games on my SNES now and I can't imagine I would have wanted to back in the day either.

Rating: F-

No comments:

Post a Comment