Friday, December 7, 2012

#26: D-Force

It's begging for a D rating right in the name!
Even before the start menu the game started with a brick wall and a terrible choppy sound. I thought something was wrong with my headphones. But then a helicopter shot through the brick wall and it became clear that there was nothing wrong with my hardware. No, that was the way they thought a helicopter sounded. Man, I sure hope that doesn't carry over into the actual game...
What are those balls?!?
The game turned out to be a shooter. A really, really bad one. The sound did carry over into the game. The music was mediocre on top of it, but the sound was really, really terrible. This game had all of my least favourite aspects of games so far. Shooting my starting weapon, with no enemies on the screen, caused lag. The game used one button. Shoot. All these other buttons on the controller and none of them did anything. To be fair start did pause the game... But even paused the background would keep pulsing this weird flowy animation. I bet they thought it looked cool. Or the intern they brought in thought it looked cool. I think it looks terrible.
THANK GOODNESS!
I made it to the boss of the first stage. One good thing is dying only knocked you down one power-up tier instead of all the way to the bottom. One bad thing is the boss moved faster than any other enemy and coupled with the lag from shooting I couldn't survive. And didn't care enough to keep trying.

Then I uploaded the images here and saw the title screen had different options. So I went back to try exploration mode, which was in a dinosaur world without power-ups and with an added button! L or R would zoom in. It sucked.

I don't think I played this game back in the day. And I'm never going to play it again.

Rating: F

No comments:

Post a Comment