Saturday, April 27, 2013

#46: Contra III: The Alien Wars

UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN...
I don't really have a lot to say about Contra III. I really liked this game as a kid. I really liked playing this game in University. And I really liked playing it again on an emulator. There was a controller quirk which frustrated me, but that's a problem with the emulator or my controller and not the game itself. (The system interprets the right trigger and left trigger on my xBox controller as being the same button. So while I can hit both of them just fine and it can tell the difference I can't hold them both down at once. Which meant I couldn't do the awesome spinny attack. I tried remapping the buttons but I'm too used to using the right bumper as a screenshot key.)

OPEN YOUR VULNERABLE SPOT!
I WANT TO KILL YOU!
After playing so many games in this little adventure I've started to gain a real appreciation for well built, smooth games. Contra III definitely falls into this category. It's hard, but it's definitely fair. Everything works the way it feels like it should work. And it's fun!


One twist the game has is it puts you into a top-down mode for a couple of the levels. It's like you're playing Super Smash TV, except it's well done. You can rotate the screen, there are little indicators showing where you need to go, and you can still use all the weapons from the normal mode.

Contra III also has excellent multi-player. If you want to do well you need to share the limited power ups. If you're like my brother and I instead you learn where the good power-ups will appear and make sure you get there first. I'll take the spread weapon... You can have crush!

Rating: S-

No comments:

Post a Comment