Saturday, June 22, 2013

#54: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
I heard once (ok, it was on Criminal Minds, but Dr Reid sounds like he knows what he's talking about) that musical preferences are formed around the age of 14. If that is true (a quick Google search did turn up a site claiming 12-16 as the range) then it makes sense to me that video game preferences could follow the same sort of pattern. What was I doing when I was 14? Playing games on the SNES, and probably this one in particular. People often debate which of a given game series is 'the best', and when it comes to Zelda the answer to me is clear. A Link to the Past is 'the best'. Top down, two dimensional, 16 bit games are my bread and butter. Wait, I hate both bread and butter... How about they're my bacon and eggs?
Oh no! Zelda!
Playing this game again, especially in contrast to some of the other games I've played in this adventure, is quite the eye opener. A lot of the games I've played thus far have been terrible. Bad sound, bad graphics, lag, no plot... None of those hold true here. This game had incredible music. The graphics may be a little dated but when it comes to 16 bit SNES graphics these are amazing. The game controls well. There's an actual story, and I get told what it is while playing the game. There are tons of items to collect, and puzzles to solve, and secrets to find.
COME HERE!
I know there were open world games before this but when it comes to just having a world to run around in, cracked walls to blow up, and stuff to find this game is awesome. That there are two versions of the same world and you need to go back and forth between them to get at some of the secret treasure is such a great step. When you really have time to just explore around this game really shines.

It was also a lot harder than I remember, but I think a big part of that is that I was trying to push through to get as much stuff done for this post instead of just playing the game. Normally I wouldn't go into a new dungeon without finding a new fairy pool to fill up my bottles. Having 33 health gives a lot greater margin for error than having 6! On the plus side the game actually has a reasonable continue option when you die. It saves your open world progress, and your dungeon progress, and either starts you back at your home if you die in the world or the start of the dungeon if you die in one. No limited number of continues either! Back in the day this option would be inconceivable (if I die it becomes my brother's turn) but for this purpose it worked out ok. And by not filling up on fairies I actually got pretty good at avoiding some of the bosses because I got to fight them so many times. Leaving to fill my bottles would have made it easy, and probably faster too...

I ended up saving 4 of the 7 princesses in the dark land, which was pretty close to done. I expect I'll end up finishing the game later this week. I've found with most of the games in this adventure I can't wait to stop playing them. This one I want to keep playing it!

Rating: S+

No comments:

Post a Comment