Saturday, July 6, 2013

#56: Jack Nicklaus Golf

Go Golden Bear!
My middle name may be Nicholas, and that may be the reason why Jack Nicklaus was my favourite golfer as a kid. It sounds a little weird to admit that I watched enough golf to have a favourite golfer as a kid, but there you go. And I used to find golf games rather relaxing too, so I had high hopes for this game...
Sweet graphics!
Those hopes were soon dashed to tiny little bits. I don't know if it was the ROM I'm using, or the emulator, or what but the entire time I was playing the game there was a loud grating sound playing in the background. Or the foreground. It was everywhere, really, and it gave me a headache. I only played one hole, and even that was painful.



I went to find info on if it was the game itself that was so horribly flawed or not and found this video on YouTube of some guys reviewing the actual cartridge. On the plus side it turns out the actual game didn't have the annoying sound. On the minus side it turned out that when you play the game 2 players both controllers work to control both players. I couldn't stop laughing as the two guys tried to complete the first hole but couldn't because they'd keep switching clubs on each other. The end of the video is pure SNES golf gold. So while the game itself is abysmally bad today wasn't a complete waste. I got more enjoyment out of that video than out of some of the other games in this series, so that's something!

Even without the noise, the game had really terrible loading lag. Which seems to be par for the course in an SNES golf game, but that's not good enough for me now.

Rating: F-

No comments:

Post a Comment