Saturday, July 19, 2014

#110: Best of the Best: Championship Karate

Who's the best?
'Best of the Best' on its own is a name that doesn't tell me anything about the game I'm about to play. But the byline about championship karate makes it all crystal clear. This will be a karate game, and presumably one where you fight one on one in a tournament of sorts in an attempt to show you're the absolute best of the best.
Go Canada Go!
That is, in fact, exactly what we have here. There's a bit of a metagame going on where you earn money and can do training to raise your stats. You can customize your character moves, though I found that screen confusing so I didn't play around with it. I do remember using it when I was a kid and I think it was a good addition.

Canada down. 8(
The game has a cool metagame, and it actually includes Canada as a country option which always makes me happy. But is the core game any good? It felt like a pretty decent fighter as far as an SNES fighter goes. It felt pretty smooth and I feel like the pace was slow enough that you could work in counters and such if you were good.

I am not good at fighters. If I practice a whole ton I can get decent at them, but right off the hop when I don't really know the buttons I have no chance. So I got blown out here. I didn't feel super frustrated though, which probably bodes well for this being a decent if slow paced fighter.

Rating: C

No comments:

Post a Comment