Saturday, August 2, 2014

#112: Chuck Rock

ROCK OUT!
Even before the title screen loaded up this game started off with a pretty sweet rock tune. It got me pumped to try the game for sure. Then the title screen came up and I was hooked. Caveman rock band? Run it! Especially if I get to play someone in the band who made that sweet intro tune!

UNGA BUNGA!
No options menu, no nothing. Hit start on that title screen and get thrown into stage 1. Of what turned out to be a fairly straightforward, plot-free platformer. I'm a caveman. I start each stage by saying UNGA BUNGA with pretty good video game voice synth. (I Blame Bunga.) But then I just need to run from one end of the stage to the other... My only attacks are to thrust my fat belly out, or to jump kick, or to pick up a rock and throw it. I don't even get a club to swing.

PS: Pterodactyl.
I wanted to play a game with a rocking caveman. Instead I got a very bland platformer. It actually controlled quite well, and still had pretty good music and sound. But I didn't know who I was, or why I was platforming. I beat the first boss without losing a life and got bored. I hoped the game over screen would be interesting to I slowly got myself killed. No dice for anything interesting there, either.

Normally I find myself disliking games in this adventure because they're really bad in some way. Terrible sound, or horrible controls, or brutal lag. This game has none of that. It's just super bland.But probably would have been fun back in the day!

Rating: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment